SPJ Region 5 is giving away two $500 scholarships to interested students! All you have to do is write a letter on why this money will be beneficial to you for this conference and you could be reimbursed for the cost. Deadline is approaching on JULY 31ST so make sure to get those letters in soon! Send them to email@example.com and good luck!
Congratulations to our 2018-19 board members! We can’t wait to see all of you next year. We’d love to hear your ideas and feedback for how to keep building SPJ.
Left to right in the photo:
Abby Yimer, secretary/treasurer
Erica Carbajal, social media coordinator
Ally Pruitt, 2017-18 president (she’s graduating!)
Jesus J. Montero, membership/Online News Association coordinator
Lacey Latch, vice president/events coordinator
Carina Smith, president
Find us online:
Twitter and Instagram: @spjonadepaul
Want to attend #EIJ18, SPJ’s national conference Sept. 27-29 in Baltimore? SPJ wants to help cover your costs! Check out the opportunities and application deadlines.
EIJ News Internships:
Ten student interns will gain experience and make connections while covering the EIJ18 conference, by using multimedia approaches in a student newsroom. If selected, you’ll get one conference registration, complimentary four-night stay at the conference hotel, some meals and the chance to show off your talents and network with other journalists. Applications for the EIJ News Team are due April 30
. Apply now
Columbia Journalism School Student Fellowships:
The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is providing funds for five SPJ student members from any school to attend EIJ18. If selected, you’ll get one conference registration and $575 to use toward travel expenses. Applications are due May 18
. Apply now
Robert D.G. Lewis First Amendment Award:
The Lewis family’s generosity provides this scholarship to one SPJ student member who has demonstrated outstanding service to the First Amendment through the field of journalism. If selected, you’ll get one conference registration and $350 to use toward travel expenses. Applications are due June 5
. Apply now
Dori Maynard Diversity Leadership Program:
The goal of the program is to increase the diversity of SPJ members within the organization. Each year, SPJ selects six members to participate as SPJ Diversity Leadership Fellows. The fellowship provides funds for fellows to receive a conference registration, airfare (up to $300), four-night hotel accommodations at EIJ18 and one ticket to the SPJ President’s Installation Banquet on Sept. 29 Get the details and apply now
Terry Harper Memorial Scholarships:
The Terry Harper Memorial Scholarship is open to professional, post-grad and retired members. It is given in honor of Terry Harper, SPJ’s executive director from 2002-2009. The scholarship provides funds for up to five members to receive a conference registration, airfare, four-night hotel accommodations at EIJ18 and one ticket to the SPJ President’s Installation Banquet on Sept. 29. Applications are due June 5
. Get the details and apply now
. For eligibility and application information, click here
We’re excited to be co-hosting this event with NABJ Chicago, NABJ DePaul and 14 East Magazine. Talk with DePaul instructor Laurence Holmes and alum Rachel Hinton, along with the rest of these great Chicago journalists.
Hope you enjoyed your break! We have a great lineup of SPJ events planned for the coming quarter:
- Wednesday, Jan. 10, 5-7 p.m.: Our next general meeting. Everyone is welcome! Our location will be announced soon.
- Wednesday, Jan. 17, 5-7 p.m., Daley 1260: Resume and headshot workshop. Get advice on how to make yourself a great job candidate. We will have a photographer taking professional headshots. Prepare for job and internship season!
- Saturday, Jan. 20, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.: School newspaper training for 8th-grade students at St. Juliana in Chicago. We’ll give aspiring journalists tips on how to find story ideas, conduct interviews and more. SPJ will provide transportation to the school, and lunch will be served afterward. If you’re interested, please contact SPJ President Ally Pruitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, Jan. 24, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Monthly Public Newsroom: We’re teaming up with DePaul’s 14 East magazine to encourage Chicago residents to talk about important issues and learn more about how journalists will do their work. The first one will be in late January. Stay tuned for details!
- Newsroom tours: Details coming soon
- Friday, April 6, and Saturday, April 7: Save the dates for the SPJ Region 5 conference in Chicago. DePaul’s journalism program will be hosting the April 7 events. Sign up at the conference website to get email updates.
Questions? Interested in learning more? Find out what SPJ does and how to join. You can always contact Ally or Amy Merrick, our faculty adviser, at email@example.com.
Check out the minutes from our board meetings and general meetings here. We accept applications for board memberships each spring.
We look forward to seeing you soon!