SPJ/ONA DePaul is seeking students to fill four executive board positions for the 2014-15 school year. Students must be available from May 15, 2014 to the end of the winter quarter, 2015 (roughly March 31).
Candidates will be interviewed on May 8 and 9. You must sign up for an interview time on Reilley’s office door, room 1106, 14 E. Jackson Blvd. Please bring two copies of your resume to the interview and dress professionally.
To read the job descriptions, click on the link:
SPJ/ONA DePaul Officer Job Descriptions, 2014-15 Term
Officer Election and Service Time Frame
New officers will take over late in the Spring quarter. This model allows for the new leadership to get situated before the fall quarter begins. The Spring quarter to Spring quarter appointments enable the new officers to be trained before the new academic year starts in the fall.
Therefore, undergraduate seniors with one quarter remaining and second-year graduate students with one quarter remaining are ineligible to hold officer positions. You must be able to fulfill your entire officer term within your academic eligibility. There are no GPA requirements for leadership positions. You must be enrolled as a full-time DePaul student and be a member of SPJ National and SPJ DePaul to be eligible for a position.
The executive board presides over the chapter. Members of the executive board are:President, Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, Membership Coordinator/Publicity Coordinator, Events-Programs Coordinator and the Chapter Adviser.
We have executive board positions available for the following positions: Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, Membership/Publicity Coordinator and Events/Programs Coordinator.
To Apply: Applicants are required to bring a resume to an interview with Chapter President Melanie Stone and Chapter Adviser Mike Reilley on May 8 or 9. A sign-up sheet for interview times is on Reilley’s office door, 14 E. Jackson Blvd., room 1106. The president will announce her decisions within a week. You will be notified by email and the new e-board members will be listed on the website, etc.
Job Descriptions: Vacant Officer Positions
The vice president shall perform the duties of the president in the president’s absence and shall assist in coordinating all functions of the organization. The vice president also will oversee the secretary/treasurer, membership/publicity coordinator and events/programs coordinator. The vice president also will handle these responsibilities:
- Assist the president in monitoring the other coordinators
- Track progress of events and have coordinators send weekly email updates
- Help recruit new members
- Coordinate with all executive board members to ensure tasks are being completed in timely manner.
- Assist the President in updating the Chapter Bylaws if needed.
The person filling this position must handle the duties and tasks of both the secretary and treasurer.
The secretary shall serve as corresponding and recording secretary, keeping minutes of all meetings. The secretary also will handle these responsibilities:
- Setting chapter meeting agendas with the president
- Assist the president with administrative duties for meetings and events
- Help recruit new members
- Update the chapter calendar on OrgSync
The treasurer shall be the coordinator of the chapter’s funds, in cooperation with the DePaul Office of Student Involvement and the chapter president and adviser. The treasurer will handle these responsibilities:
- Assist with booking and planning travel arrangements for the SPJ Regional and National Conferences
- Work with the chapter president and adviser to track the budget
- Help recruit new members
The membership/publicity coordinator shall serve as the coordinator of the chapter’s members and uphold the publicity duties for the organization. The membership/publicity coordinator will handle these responsibilities:
- Recruit new members at the beginning of each quarter
- Book tables at the various campus undergraduate and graduate involvement fairs
- Contact SPJ/ONA DePaul members and keep them updated on chapter news
- Promote upcoming events to campus and mainstream media
- Design promotional materials for SPJ events
- Maintain the @spjonadepaul Twitter account, Facebook page, and OrgSync page.
- Work to increase membership numbers
Events/Social Media Coordinator
The events/programs coordinator shall plan and execute chapter events that align with SPJ’s national qualifications. The events-programs coordinator will handle these responsibilities:
- Assist chapter president and adviser to schedule speakers, meeting rooms and event logistics (food, beverages, etc.)
- Communicate with secretary/treasurer and membership/publicity to ensure event logistics are up on OrgSync, Twitter, Facebook, and promoted to chapter members and the DePaul student body.
- Complete an event request for approval by chapter president, vice president and adviser. Must be completed at least 3 weeks prior to desired event.
All executive board members must go to the SPJ National and Regional conferences. Past regional conferences have been held in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Past national conferences have been held in Las Vegas, Ft. Lauderdale and New Orleans.
The new executive board will be traveling Sept. 3-6 with the chapter president and chapter adviser to Nashville, Tennessee, for the 2014 SPJ Excellence in Journalism National Conference. Most of the travel and event registration expenses are paid for by the chapter’s budget.