On Sept. 17, 2013, SPJ/ONA DePaul launched the first SPJ Free Speech Wall exercise on Constitution Day. Students set up blank “walls” on our Lincoln Park and Loop campuses so students, faculty, administration and staff could write anything they wanted, exercising their First Amendment rights.
On Sept. 5, SPJ/ONA DePaul will present the Free Speech Wall at the SPJ/RTDNA Excellence in Journalism conference in Nashville. Our student executive board will walk you through how to do your own Free Speech Wall on Sept. 17 this year and join a nationwide effort by tweeting photos, findings and observations to our hashtag, #fsw17.
A few steps to get you started:
- Follow the instructions in the Free Speech Wall presentation on Sept. 5
- Set up your own Free Speech Wall and tweet findings, turnout and photos to #fsw17 on Sept. 17.
- Categorize posts and build a visual (data visualization, chart or other visual). See charts in Powerpoint.
- SPJ/ONA DePaul will do data visualizations in Google Fusion Tables and/or Datawrapper.de this year and post them online.
- Share your work: Tweet findings to #fsw17 by Oct. 1.
- Watch @spjonadepaul for more details and examples. Make sure to follow us and we’ll follow back. We also will post findings to SPJONADePaul.com